The elections are scheduled for the twenty-second session of the Assembly of States Parties, to be held at the United Nations, New York from 4 to 14 December 2023.
Nomination period: From 2 January to 26 March 2023 (CET)
Nomination period - Election of six judges
Timelines for the 2023 judicial elections - English
Confidential channel regarding due diligence
- In accordance with the legal framework of the Rome Statute, article 36, paragraph 3, the judges of the International Criminal Court “shall be chosen from among persons of high moral character, impartiality and integrity who possess the qualifications required in their respective States for appointment to the highest judicial office.”
- For that purpose, and pursuant to resolution ICC-ASP/21/Res.2, paragraph 82, the Bureau, on 28 February 2023, established a due diligence process for the election of six judges in 2023 whereby “the IOM shall establish a confidential channel for the receipt of allegations of misconduct against any of the nominated candidates.”
- Paragraph 9 of the due diligence process provides that ‘For the purposes of this due diligence process, “misconduct” refers to human rights violations, incidents of harassment, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority, discrimination and bullying in the workplace, as well as other ethical or legal breaches of a serious nature such as fraud or corruption.’
- The list of candidates nominated for election is available on the webpage of the Assembly at the following link: https://asp.icc-cpi.int/elections/judges/2023/Nominations
- Any allegations of misconduct as defined above may be reported confidentially no later than 30 June 2023, to the Independent Oversight Mechanism (IOM), a subsidiary body of the Assembly, at the following email address: [email protected]
- The allegation and its review by the IOM shall be kept confidential at all times and it be will treated in accordance with the provisions of the due diligence process. The IOM can also be contacted directly at the above email address with any questions regarding the process.